July 3
Day one of our summer holiday and an eight hour through-the-night drive found me knackered and clapped out in Southampton Tesco car park just before dawn. On the way we had to make a few comfort breaks for L, who decide sleep was not for him. At one particular stop in the arse end of England I had to distract his attention from the seemingly empty car we parked next
to. On our way back from the restroom it became clear this car did in fact have a driver who, it became very clear, was in the process of having a BJ administed by the at that time unseen passenger. Talk of Ghana's "controversial" World Cup defeat did the trick and I made it back to the motorway without need to answer any awkward questions.
Anyhow, on arrival we had to wait about five hours before we could embark on the cruise ship, so I grabbed a couple of hours sleep ... only to awaken to a swarm of wasps around us attracted by all the dead bugs we'd amassed on the car. Scary ... and the story of my life!
So, we're underway and I'm hours away from setting foot on mainland Europe.
July 4
Woke this morning in Belgium; no evidence of child abuse as yet, but I'll be wary of it. There were a load of Navy ships in port as it was some sort of celebration day here (not related to US Independence Day ... I think) so the ships were open for visiting and there were lots of things laid on by the Belgian military. Whilst queuing up to go aboard a German support ship,
L asked me if this had been caputure duing the war. I had to explain that this was in fact a working ship and not a museum piece ... and that he should avoid mentioning the war due to the ship being full of German sailors.
Later L had a go at a few of the activities laid on, including an assault course in full NBC gear. He also got decked out in full protective gear aboard the US 6th Fleet command ship. Well at least it wasn't a construction worker or red indian chief.
Later we became aware that a boy two cabins down from us has a Vuvuzela; a big orange one. P says we should throw him overboard! Not like her to be a kill joy.
July 5
A day at sea, so not much to do other than eat and walk round the ship. Three trips round the promonade deck equals three miles so we gave it a good pounding. I can honestly say I've never seen so many glum walkers. Not a friendly bunch aboard this vessel, which is fine by me (no suprise to anyone how knows my mantra of "Friends? Time burglars").
One piece of news worth reporting ... The Little Mermaid is on holiday. Yes, I will be unable to fulfil my Holiday Callenge of having my picture taken with both her and Kim Jong-Il as she is currently in Japan. Guess it'll be me, KJI and Hamlet's ghost then!
Monday, 5 July 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment