Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Last Update ... for sure this time.

Day 18
Sunday again, and that means another “Family Fun” Day. No ferries this time, just trains and buses. We went down to Bondi Beach and walked from them to Bronte where the beach is smaller and quieter. It was even quieter than normal as the weather was shit again.
L went for a joust with the waves whilst P lay sleeping by the sea wall. I warned her that Greenpeace were likely to show up in an effort to re-float her, but she took no notice. For my part, I took a dip up to my knees in true British fashion; though regrettably I didn’t have a knotted hankie. Just for the record, the water was freezing.
We went for a potter around on the rock shelf that overhangs the bay. I was bricking it cos not only was is very high up, it was also windy and there was nothing other than common sense and sure footing preventing us for taking a header on to the rock below (yes, I am a big fearty). I spent most of the time worrying that L was about to step off due to his inability to stand in any one place from more than a nanosecond. At least that stopped me worrying about myself.

Day 19
Took the ferry to Taronga Zoo. Unfortunately we just missed the one we were hoping to get and had to wait for the next one, which is always a danger as it gives P a chance to befriend someone. In this instance it was an old woman (bad teeth and worse feet) with her grandson. To cut a long story short, we end up spending the whole visit to the Zoo with them. This meant that mostly the Granny was sitting down somewhere whilst her grandson ran around with us in tow. It’s hard enough making sure you don’t lose your own kid never mind someone else’s; too much responsibility.
After about four hours P takes me aside and says “Do you think we should tell them we need to go somewhere else?” Do I?!? In my usual reserved manner I told her that was a good plan and I fully supported her. Funnily enough they weren’t that keen to part. No idea why. Were they planning to keep us? Now as you know it’s not that I’m anti-social … no really … oh, suit yourself.

Day 20
Just one more day to go. L and I went for a jet boat ride in the Harbour today. It was fast and extremely wet (I never realised just how salty the sea was!). L loved it, but it left me with a damp arse for most of the afternoon.
We then went up to Darling Harbour and sat by the dock while the sun went down. It was quite pleasant until the familiar sound of a crowd of drunk Scots who would be more at home in Blackpool filled my ears. You can’t help but feel a little embarrassed at being associated with these bottom feeders. It was no surprise to me to find one of them sporting “the hoops“. For shame.

Day 21
Last day, so this’ll be my last entry of the holiday. To those that know me, there’ll now be no need for me to bore you with my adventures when I get back home (for which I‘m sure you‘ll be forever grateful). To those that don’t, whoever you are, I hope you’ve enjoyed the wild ride.
This is me, last survivor of the Australian Odyssey, signing off.

No comments: